Sunday 6 March 2016

Gut feeling

Tomorrow I start my 6 week FODMAP diet. A week ago I had no clue what this was.. It's not a weightloss diet, it's a diet to hopefully make my gut more happy... A diet that will hopefully sort out my IBS (irritable bowel syndrome).

I have had IBS for a couple of years, but it has gradually got worse. Initially it was something I found embarrassing & didn't really talk about it until recently. Since then, I have found out it's pretty common & there's lots of things you can try to get rid of it/help manage it at least! It's taken me a while to buck up the courage to write about it, but hopefully this will help someone else out there. 

I've tried over the counter tablets like Buscopan, but I wanted something to prevent it! So I've tried Yakult drinks, probiotic tablets, various scans to see if it was something more sinister, peppermint tablets- everything. 

The doctor has now put me on the "FODMAP" diet for 6 weeks. Which is eliminating Fermentable Oligo-Di-Monosaccharides & Polyols. What?! In English, it's eliminating Fructose (fruits, honey etc), Lactose (Dairy), Fructans (Wheat, Rye, Gluten, Garlic etc), Galactans (beans, lentils, soybeans etc) and finally Polyols (sweeteners, avocado, nectarines, peaches etc). 

After the 6 weeks, you start reintroducing sections of the above and try to work out what it is setting the tummy off. This can be severe bloating or other symptoms that I won't go into but, 

WowZers....

Especially as a Vegetarian, this could be a challenge! So I spent most of Saturday morning planning my meals & creating a new a grocery shop & I'm all set! 

I will keep you posted on how I'm getting on & here goes for a Vegetarian, Vegan, Gluten-free diet! Fingers crossed this helps & makes me tummy smile & hopefully less beached whale for my Mexican holibobs! 


Saffron xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment